Home » Criminal Defense » Expungements

We Will Fight For You To Get A Clean Slate

Having a criminal offense on your record can impact various aspects of your life from your career to housing to child custody. At The Coon Law Firm, we recognize the importance of getting arrests and convictions off of your record once and for all. We know that people and the courts can make mistakes. Hiring a lawyer can be the first step to identifying those mistakes and petitioning the court to re-evaluate your case.

What Type Of Arrests And Convictions Can Be Expunged?

Prior to 2019, only certain felony convictions were eligible for expungement. However, after the passing of the Criminal Justice Reform Act, expungements in Mississippi will also be extended to numerous first-time nonviolent felony offenders.

Examples of first-time, non-violent felonies that may be eligible for expungement include:

  • Grand larceny
  • Drug-related crimes
  • Property crimes, including arson and theft
  • White collar crimes such as tax evasion and fraud
  • Larceny
  • Forgery
  • Certain crimes committed by a minor

We can also fight for the expungement of nonfelony arrests and convictions such as:

  • First-time misdemeanor offenses
  • Criminal offenses that were dismissed
  • First-time DUI

Violent Offenses Are Not Eligible For Expungement

Violent felony convictions such as murder, robbery, manslaughter, kidnapping, false imprisonment, endangerment and sexual assault cannot be expunged. Keep in mind that arrests are recorded in your criminal record, even if it did not lead to a conviction. An arrest on your record may lead to denial of employment and more, and it is just as important to seek expungement for arrest as it is for a conviction.

Are You Eligible For Expungement? Find Out Today.

Receive a case evaluation at our Madison office to discuss the process with a knowledgeable attorney. We can file a petition of expungement with the appropriate court and communicate with prosecutors to come to an agreement. For your convenience, you may tell us about your case online or call 601-401-8617.